Fishing is one of the most popular pastimes in the United States, with the Statistical Portal https://www.statista.com/topics/1163/recreational-fishing/ giving the following statistics for 2015:
1. The number if fishermen and anglers 49.81M
2. The number if paid fishing license holders 29.4M
These numbers speak to the popularity of the sport.
Whether you are fishing in salt or fresh water every fisherman knows that it is critical to have the proper tools and equipment. The result or consequence of not having the right tool for a task may vary from one of inconvenience to being dangerous. Whatever type of fishing you are doing one of the more necessary tools is the fishing pliers; it is the main multi-purpose tool.
Fishing Pliers vs Pliers.
The fishing pliers are indeed pliers: Fishing pliers have however been modified to improve the efficiency of certain basic tasks in the sport of fishing. Fishing pliers and there are several designs depending on the type of fishing, are essential for cutting fishing lines, extracting the hooks from the fish, and for setting up the tackle split rings. Particulars of the Fishing Pliers
One of the most necessary tools in the fishing world is fishing pliers. You will almost always need a pair regardless of the type of fishing you do. The fishing pliers make it easier to unhook a fish, using the pliers, and not your fingers, which may be a laborious and dangerous task. You may use the pliers to also flatten hook barbs or tighten the hooks, grab lines, and certainly, for cutting fishing lines. This same tool, the fishing pliers, may also come in handy in the event of an emergency, for example, if you accidentally pierce yourself with a fish hook, and need to remove it. It is therefore important to practice the use and become comfortable using the fishing pliers. The care and maintenance of the pliers is also critical to ensure it is always in the best condition
Flattening or Crimping the Fish Hook
Many fishing hooks come with barbs at the end. This barb may be dangerous to both the fisherman. and fish. In some places, you may also be fined if caught fishing with a hook with a barb. So, when setting up you tackle one of the things that must be done is to use the flat part of the pliers to flatten the barb. You should be able to run your finger over the smooth hook.
Tightening the Fish Hook With Fishing Pliers
1. First, you open the handle of the fishing pliers to open the jaws of the pliers.
2. Open the split rings by inserting the nose (slim tip) of the fishing pliers between the rings of the split ring.
3. Ensure the pointed ends of the split rings are lined up and are near the end of the ring.
4. Using the pliers and holding firmly slide the old hook around the ring until it comes out of the open end of the split ring. Ensure too that you slide the fishing pliers around the ring and that the split ring is kept open for the hook to pass through.
5. For the new hook – open the split ring and slide the new hook into the opening. Ensure the hook is kept in place on the split ring and then slide the pliers around the ring making sure its kept open enough to slide in the new hook.
6. Keep doing this until the hook clears the ring and is in place.
7. You can then remove the fishing pliers from the split ring.
8. Once finished, your tackle is ready for fishing with a brand-new hook
Cutting Fishing Lines
The pliers are used to cut the types and strength of lines.
Removing Fish Hook from Fish With Pliers
Although you may remove the hook with most of the fishing pliers available, you may want to use one which is designed for this – an angled needle nose.
One of the most frequent accidents occurs when catching the fish and the hook may become impaled in your hand or other part of your body. If lodged in their hand, many fishermen will try and extract it themselves. There are areas, like the face that should be left to medical personnel.
The Characteristics of Good Fishing Pliers
1. Should be made of a material that is suitable for both saltwater and freshwater. Aluminum or titanium are regarded as the best materials; not steel which will rust and corrode easily. That is unless the steel is coated with another like titanium.
2. Different to other pliers; fishing pliers have been designed for fishing and will have extra features that standard pliers don’t have.
3. Some pliers will be very versatile and can cut all the types of fishing lines, includes the crimping equipment for making joins and also the ability to remove hooks.
4. One feature you want in your set of pliers is the portability and usability, and very lightweight. Having lightweight pliers which are easy to hold will make fishing a lot easier.
5. Consider too, fishing pliers with a protective sheath to protect it. It is attached to a lanyard might also be good.
The popularity of the sport of fishing is without a doubt. The fishing pliers have become an integral tool in this sport, because of its specialization to deal with certain fishing specific’ tasks. It is also evident that while most of the fishing pliers are multi-purpose, there may not be anyone pliers that cover all the needs of the fisherman.
There are several types and models of fishing pliers and you should review the features of each to determine which combination you may need in your collection.
Note though that it is best to invest in good pliers, made of strong, hardy materials with an ergonomic handle for comfortable use.
Robert is a professional fisherman and his hobby is fishing! He has been fishing for last 6+ years and he loves using fishing accessories outing as well. Based on his experiences with different types of accessories; He is sharing his opinion about various fishing accessories So that the beginner can get started right away. Find him on here. Happy reading!